Written by Mike Lepkowski & Ray Hyder Option controls – Customizing OpenECU hardware for specific system requirements Most systems require specific interfaces between controllers and sensors or actuators. While OpenECU has been designed to support a variety of sensors and actuators it can support an even larger variety of sensors through small changes to hardware in the ECU itself. Pi Innovo calls this modification an option control which uses one of our off-the-shelf OpenECU modules. Option controls are best for customers developing prototype... View More
The difficulty with diagnostics is in the definition.
- Do the diagnostics report simple wire harness shorts and opens checks?
- Do the diagnostics report ECU pin function checks and possible intermediate stuck at voltage checks?
- Do the diagnostics perform initial checks at power-on, or real-time and run-time checks of the internal ECU health and function?
- Are the diagnostics the complex rationality and long-term diagnostics of system (not just ECU)... View More
Written by Gordan Jurasek, Director of Hardware Advanced Solutions, Pi Innovo Evaluating the suitability of an OpenECU Electronic Control Unit (ECU) for use in your system as an embedded controller is best done in layers with the obvious and superficial screens done first to narrow the candidate pool to a limited quantity followed by the fine detailed requirements test on the narrower candidate pool. Many times, an off-the-shelf module will meet the requirements but for cases where customization is needed, OpenECU... View More
Written by Gordan Jurasek, Director of Hardware Advanced Solutions, Pi Innovo As much as I would like (as an electrical engineer) to assume away any constraints presented by the physical world, there is no avoiding reality. Complicating matters is that some of the environmental conditions vary substantially with the operating modes. The operating modes, usage profile and conditions during each operating mode of the mounting location for the ECU must be collected. These consist of:
- Physical Interfaces:
- a. 3-D packaging space... View More