Pi Innovo personnel come from a variety of Automotive OEM and Tier 1 companies, bringing together substantive expertise in all primary disciplines required to deliver production automotive, heavy duty, and military grade ECU / Electronics hardware solutions. This broadly experienced, flexible and multi-skilled team brings an inherent understanding of the hardware development activity and the interfaces with other system delivery disciplines (typically software development, system engineering, sourcing and manufacturing) required for success. Pi Innovo also brings the advantage of having worked on a diverse range of activities across a significant range of customers in both production and prototyping capacities.
Pi Innovo hardware development typically follows the V-model, alongside software and systems development. However we are not restricted to this approach. When working for some large Automotive OEMs, the preference is to follow the OEM defined process with its associated work products. All development projects will generate a Quality Plan to clearly define the agreed project deliverables and set the framework for the project. Our development process has matured over a few decades to provide the development team with a process that can be tailored to meet customer specific requirements.
Some of the key techniques used are:
- DFMEA including FTA and other OEM specific failure prediction metrics
- Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP) development – all production projects will establish an APQP team to work alongside the manufacturing development. Typical activities will include:
- Production part approval process (PPAP) deliverable support
- PFMEA support and linking into the DFMEA
- Prototype and Production Control Plan recommendations / reviews
- Data pack releases into production systems
- Production build support
- Gauge R&R and Golden sample support – closing the loop between production test and design.
- ICT definition
- EOL Tester development – ranging from a simplistic Go/No Go test solution to a full 19” racking system with NI PXI based systems running Labview.
- Designing with the correct parts – Wherever possible, we elect to design in AEC-Q (automotive) qualified components from the initial prototype stage. We consider peace of mind supply and longevity a key factor in automotive products and having global sourcing representatives with the hardware group substantially supports this.
- DFx (Design for Excellence) to strive for right first time design Covers valour checking, design for manufacture, test, supply quality, EMC, environment.
- ‘Design for DV’ is a concept employed to determine the design validation test flow early on and work through any criteria in the design that could be influenced by the product environment.
We pride ourselves in being able to react quickly in order to turn a design from a concept to a first prototype. We achieve this by:
- Team co-location - a full development team (Mechanical, PCB, Electrical, Technician, software, reliability test, global sourcing, project management)
- Close partners – local production facilities with a mature relationship and using common inventories across product
- Key suppliers – trusted to rapidly deliver good quality parts in short timescales. For example; 24 hour PCB turnaround times
- Reuse – utilizing common design blocks and components. Having design rules and guidelines pre-set for variety of product types
- Commitment – a hardware team that is united in our purpose to enable our customer’s success.
- Full design cycle support from concept to post SOP+90 including supporting subsets of a full development.
A range of industry standard and custom tools are employed to satisfy customer requirements.
- Mechanical design typically uses Solid Works with additional vibration stress and thermal modeling capabilities
- PCB design utilizes Altium
- Electrical design will call upon worst-case analysis (WCA)/ simulation tools to prove the paper design prior to release.
- Bespoke Test tools based upon home grown Labview compliment the DV development capabilities and we typically design a cost efficient system that has foresight to be utilized for both DV and also translated into production for EOL test.
Some customers want a turnkey solution and purchase finished modules, others want to own the design IP and manufacture the modules themselves. Pi Innovo works collaboratively with our customers to construct a business arrangement that meets our customer’s needs. In addition, for customers who are looking to build an in house hardware team, Pi Innovo will structure engagements where training and knowledge transfer occur as part of the overall project deliverables.
- Requirement Elicitation
- Requirement Analysis
- System Architecture Review
- Proof of Concept
- PCB Design
- Circuit Design
- Schematic Capture
- Enclosure Design
- Thermal Analysis
- Design Analysis
- Worst Case Analysis
- Failure Effects Analysis
- Safety Analysis
- Design Validation Testing
- Production Validation Testing
- Reliability Analysis
- Reliability Validation Testing
- Functional Test
- Production Test
- Agency Qualification
- Turnkey Production
- Warranty Services
- Production Process Evaluation
- Field Failure Analysis
- Product Support
- Production Support
- Contract Manufacturing
- Productionization of Existing Designs
- Cost Reductions
Pi Innovo’s goal is to align customer objectives with the best supply chain strategy. We currently offer European, North American and Chinese manufacturing solutions through Automotive TS19694 certified Electronic Manufacturing Service (EMS) partners.
For customers looking to purchase a finished product, we offer full turnkey solutions where Pi Innovo manages the supply chain in its entirety from design through new product introduction (NPI) and into volume manufacture.
Alternatively, some customers choose to own and manage volume manufacturing on their own. Pi Innovo works with our customer’s in house or existing manufacturing partners to launch new product designs into volume manufacture.
Pi Innovo is also able to provide supplier selection support & expertise to those customers who wish to own the supply chain but who do not yet have a manufacturing partnership in place.
Pi Innovo carries a variety of quality accreditations and have a team of dedicated and committed individuals focused on developing and delivering high quality solutions to our customers. Our accreditations include:
Strong traceability, serial number tracking, and process controls ensure ongoing product compliance.